Friday, December 19, 2014

Raspberry and Chocolate Chia Pudding

Remember Chia pets from when we were little? The little animal shaped pots of chia that we had to nurture and grow. Well, chia seeds have definitely made a comeback and are a major trend in the health world right now. Full of healthy Omega-3 fatty acids, protein, fiber, antioxidants and much more, this grain is really a superfood. It is so versatile, there are so many ways you can include it in your diet. Chia seeds can be sprinkled over cereal, used as a thickening agent for soups and curries, as a tea. But my favorite of them all is that it can be used to make a delicious pudding dessert.


I've been working on losing all of the weight I gained while I was pregnant and I found that the best way for me to achieve my goal weight was to exercise, drink lots of water, and eat healthy. Eating healthy meant cutting out rice from my diet completely, eating only whole grains, eating more fruits and veggies, and no unnecessary sugar after 3 pm (except a little bit of honey in my evening tea ritual). To make meals fun for hubby and I, I found interesting and delicious ways to incorporate healthy foods into our diet. That's when I went on a quinoa cooking spree here, here, and here. I also discovered chia seed puddings which are now our favorite guilt-free dessert and breakfast. 

I've used raspberry and chocolate to flavor my pudding but there are so many options out there. You can use just about any fruit or milk out there to create any flavor combination you want. That's the best part about chia seeds, they are almost tasteless themselves but soak up the flavor of any liquid you put them in. 
Good luck in the kitchen and I hope you can try this out.

Raspberry and Chocolate Chia Pudding
serves 4


6 tablespoons chia seeds
2 cups coconut milk beverage or any non-dairy milk
3 tablespoons raw cacao powder (baking cocoa will also work)
2 tablespoons organic maple syrup or raw honey

1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup fresh or frozen raspberries 


chocolate shavings and raspberries for garnish

Raspberry pudding:
Add the raspberries and 1 cup of milk into a blender and blend until smooth. Stir in 1 tablespoon of maple syrup, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 3 tablespoons of chia seeds until well combined. Refrigerate in an airtight container until it is thick and pudding like, for 4 hours or overnight.

Chocolate pudding:
Add the rest of the milk, cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and chia seeds in a container and mix it until its well combined. Taste and adjust sweetness. Refrigerate until it is thick, for 4 hours or overnight.

Assembly:
Fill a glass serving dish halfway with the chocolate pudding and fill the rest of the way with raspberry pudding. Garnish with chocolate shavings and raspberries. Enjoy!

© Best of Wardah. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.